Friday, December 14, 2012

12/14/12

Because babies should never have to hold hands and scrimmage
To exit a school building while they shut their eyes from the carnage
Because I never got to meet my brother's brother, his life lost cuz of his surrounding streets
Because even that beautiful sunset sky can look grey on a day like today
Because fear in in the eyes of children should never be there in the first place
Because she shouldn't have to hide her face; so runs home like it's a race; and he still calls her a disgrace...
Because danger comes around, without warning, without sound, unannounced
I say my prayers out loud.
And I'm not a preacher
And this is not a revival
But nowadays Church is in the wild
So if you never got on your knees to pray
Or even said, Wassup God? Or, Hey!
I think a good time for that would be today
No matter where your spirituality stays
Cuz I've seen atheists meditate and Holy people eradicate entire races
So please send love and gratitude from where you stand,
Cuz you still have your arms to hug, and you still have your hands to hold hands.
Send peaceful energy too.
Especially to people with attitudes who are not in the mood
Cuz you never know of whom they may have thought to shoot
But there is nothing that can justify all the babies and parents that cried
Hiding their eyes as they walked by the carnage today
They say be kind to unkind people, for they may need it the most
And I didn't know this guy, but what possessed him to do this, was no heavenly host
It isn't fair.
It isn't right.
It should be engraved entwined in our DNA.
But because it's not for some here and there,
I implore you to speak to whatever higher being you feel like tonight.
Ladies and gentlemen... it's time to pray.


3 comments: